Thursday, April 19, 2007

A realization

I came to a realization today - I've had this blog for just over a year - about a year and a week - and I've posted a grand total of 10 times. That's pitiful.

Maybe I should work on that.


Decisions have been made pertaining to the LEGS team and we are moving ahead with them. We have had to scale back what we had hoped to accomplish this year, but we understand that that's the nature of a research project. Things don't always go as planned. Instead of working to meet travel and implementation goals, the senior members of the team have decided to focus on improving the documentation that exists, and making sure that we don't leave taking any information with us. So I am now faced with a massive stack of research notebooks, a ton of MS Word templates, and lots of scratch paper as four of us begin the process of recording everything we know about LEGS.


In addition, I have to completely document a prosthetic foot testing machine that I designed and wired, but did not have time to program. So some poor guy next year gets to do that, and that means I have to write down a semester's worth of development with some degree of clarity.


I'll be honest and say I enjoy the development and manufacturing part more than the documentation.


It's also slightly frustrating to not be able to just finish the project - I know exactly what needs to happen, but simply don't have time to complete it. Too many end of semester reports and design reviews are due.


2.5 more weeks of LeTourneau, then 20 days in Europe, and then life. I honestly don't think its sunk in yet that I don't come back next year. Just like the last 3 years, I'm so ready to be done that I'm just looking forward to summer, like everyone else here. I think I'll miss this place.


I'm proud of a photoshop job I did. It's the background for the powerpoint for my final presentation on surveying instruments in ancient Rome.

Fun class - a lot of work and a ton of research, but I have enjoyed the learning.


Back to work.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yeah, I hear you on documentation - that's always my least favorite part of projects.

Cool image and that sounds like a cool class. Did they use water levels at all?