Sunday, February 17, 2008

New Eye Balls

So on January 23 I had laser vision correction surgery performed by Dr. H. Douglas Cooper at Pacific Laser Eye Center. What a fantastic experience. So easy, so fast, and I can see better now than I have ever been able to in my life. Within one day I could see 20/20, and at my two week post-op appointment, I had 20/15 in my right eye, 20/20 (or a little better) in my left eye. There was almost no discomfort at all resulting from the procedure, and the only disruption to my life was taking one day off of work (not supposed to use the computer for a few days) and sleeping with goofy goggles on so I wouldn't rub my eye or poke it with a stick in the middle of the night.

It was the easiest, most amazing procedure ever - It took about 7 or 8 minutes once I got into the surgery room. You lay back, they cover one eye, and put some numbing drops in the other eye. The only uncomfortable part of the entire procedure is when they draw a suction on the front of your eye so they can cut a flap. That part just feels like someone is pushing hard on your eye, so it kind of aches and your vision fades, but then it comes right back and it's all ok. They flip back the little flap they cut, tell you to look at a green light above you, and you start hearing a popping sound as the laser fires. The laser they use can cut notches in a human hair it's so fine, and there's a tracking laser that fires at 4000 HZ, so even if you move your eye around, it follows it and will not affect your results, just lengthen the procedure time.

You smell burning cornea for a few seconds, then it's done. They fold the flap back, realign it, press lightly on it to seat it, and they cover that eye and move on to the next. When I stood up after surgery, I could already see clearly - it was blurry, and yet still in focus, if that makes sense. Like there was water in my eyes after swimming. By the time I got home, I could see pretty well - much better than with my old glasses, and the next morning I was fine.

I highly recommend the procedure to anyone who's a good candidate. I'm so happy with my new eye balls, and I sure am glad it was possible.

No comments: